Sunday, April 26, 2009

Stories, Illustrations, and the Gospel

2 Samuel 1; Psalm 140; Matthew 13
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 13

34 Jesus always used stories and illustrations like these when speaking to the crowds. In fact, he never spoke to them without using such parables. 35 This fulfilled what God had spoken through the prophet:

“I will speak to you in parables.
I will explain things hidden since the creation of the world.

Observation

People in Jesus’ day learned great truths through the art of story telling. The Bible says that Jesus always used stories and illustrations to speak to the large crowds. He never spoke to them without using stories.

It is a reminder to me that people are going to remember our stories and our illustrations that we make in our sermons if they remember anything at all so we better make good use of stories that help people understand the points we are trying to make.

What do you remember about last week’s message? Do you remember any stories, any illustrations, and/or any points? Do you even remember who preached?

Application

I will use stories and illustrations today as I preach so hopefully someone will remember what I said and hopefully they will apply Your word to their lives.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, speak through me today. Help me share some good stories that will help illustrate the message. I pray that people would respond to Your word. I pray that they will be moved to action. I pray that Your Holy Spirit fall on our congregation during our worship service so that people will make life-changing decisions. I pray for revival. Be gloried today in our hearts. This is the day that the Lord has made we will rejoice and be glad in it. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: