Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What Dominates You?

Proverbs 4; Proverbs 5; Proverbs 6; Romans 8
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Romans 8

5 Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit.

Observation

What do you catch yourself thinking about?

What have you been thinking about over the past hour or during the night or in your free time? Is there some secret sin that dominates your thought life? If you are dominated by the sinful nature then you will think about sinful things, but if you are controlled or dominated by the Holy Spirit then you will be thinking about things that please the Spirit of God.


Looking back over what I have been thinking about over the past 24 hours I realize I have been under the control of God’s Holy Spirit. My thoughts have mainly been concerns about our church and the people that make up our church and for those that we need to reach. Over the past 24 hours I have not spent time thinking about sinful things. Surrendering control of my life to the Holy Spirit is a daily thing and I realize that I can choose to entertain sinful thoughts and I can choose to allow my sinful nature to take control of my life. It is a constant choice.


I wish that I could say that God’s Holy Spirit always has control of my life and that my thought life is always pure and on things that please Him but I can’t. No I have to admit that the Holy Spirit is not always in control of my life.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Application

For the next 24 hours I am going to try to keep track of what dominates my thought life.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is my desire today to think about only things that please You. Don’t let me be drawn into thinking sinful thoughts. May the Holy Spirit pray for me when I don’t know what to pray because there are so many things that I deal with that are beyond me and I don’t even know how to pray about them.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: