Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How Did He Do That?

2 Samuel 21; 2 Samuel 22; 2 Samuel 23; 1 Thessalonians 1
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

2 Samuel 23

8 These are the names of David’s mightiest warriors. The first was Jashobeam the Hacmonite, who was leader of the Three—the three mightiest warriors among David’s men. He once used his spear to kill 800 enemy warriors in a single battle.

Observation

We read the Bible sometimes without really thinking about what we are reading don’t we! Jashobeam the Hacmonite was the mightiest warrior of the most famous thirty- seven top warriors in David’s army. How did he kill 800 enemy warriors in a single battle? How could one guy do that?

He could do that the same way David killed Goliath, the same way Eleazar and David stood together against the Philistines when the entire Israelite army had fled. He killed Philistines until his hand was too tired to lift his sword, and the LORD gave him a great victory that day. One guy killed 800 warriors, Eleazar and David stood together fighting against an entire army. How did they do that without getting killed?


Answer: God fought with Jashobeam the Hacmonite. God fought with Eleazar and David. It is a lesson that you better not trust in numbers or in weaponry or in your own strength, but you better trust in the Lord. One + God = victory!

Dependence on God gives us the victory!

“Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.” Psalm 20:7

“I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory” Psalm 44:6

“When I am afraid, I will trust in you.” Psalm 56:3

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding” Proverbs 3:5

Application

I will trust the Lord today to be on my side!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that You are all I need to meet the challenges of today. Sometimes those challenges seem overwhelming, but then I read about a guy that fought and killed 800 warriors by himself in one battle then I realize that I serve a Mighty God. You will fight our battles for us if we will only trust in You. Give me the faith today to trust You to fight my battles. I pray that You would lead me in victory. Thank You for stories like this one that make me think about Your Mighty Power. You are my Rock and my Fortress.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: