Sunday, April 22, 2012


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
1 Samuel 25; 1 Samuel 26; Psalm 63; Matthew 9

If You Were Going To Preach 

Your First Sermon

What Passage Would You Pick?

Scripture

Matthew 9

35 Jesus traveled through all the towns and villages of that area, teaching in the synagogues and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom. And he healed every kind of disease and illness.

 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them because they were confused and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.  

37 He said to his disciples, “The harvest is great, but the workers are few.  

38 So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.”
Observation

I had the chance to preach my first sermon when Dr. Waylon B. Moore was pastor of Spencer Memorial Baptist Church at the young age of 21 or 22! People that attended that Sunday evening service said that the message lasted 15 minutes but it had a 45-minute invitation. For years they joked with me about that sermon!  

 I can’t remember why I picked this passage to preach on that particular night, but this passage has always been one of my favorites. 

It is a constant reminder of why you and I are still on this planet called earth. There is a harvest and that harvest needs our attention. The harvest is ready to be harvested. 

Jesus said that the harvest is great, but the workers are few! 

Then He says the most remarkable thing! And it is the solution for reaching the world for Christ! 

Here is what we need to do: “… pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields.”

Application

I will pray for more and more laborers to work His Harvest! 

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know the harvest is ripe and ready to be reached. I pray for more laborers for Your harvest. I pray that more and more people will come to know Jesus through those who are working and serving in our church. You are the Lord of the harvest and I am praying to You that you send more workers into the fields. I am praying asking You to send more workers because that is what You told me to do!

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: