Saturday, October 04, 2014

We Are Unworthy Servants Who Have Simply Done Our Duty


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Esther 1,2; Psalms 150; Luke 17

We Are
Unworthy Servants
Who Have Simply Done Our Duty

Want to know how to increase your faith?

Scripture

Luke 17

And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. 10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’”

Observation

The apostles said to the Lord, “Show us how to increase our faith.” The Lord answered, “If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, ‘May you be uprooted and thrown into the sea,’ and it would obey you!

“When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, ‘Come in and eat with me’? No, he says, ‘Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later.’ And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. 10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ‘We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.’” Luke 17:5-10

…………………

The disciples are struggling with the teaching about forgiveness that Jesus shares with them in verses 1-4. They realize that Jesus is asking them to do something that is humanly impossible – to unconditionally forgive people!

They blurt out in response to His teaching, “Show us how to increase our faith.” He responds to their request with an illustration of a master and the role of his servant and reminds them and He reminds us that we are to just do our duty. 

So how do we increase our faith? We increase our faith by being good servants, or in other words, by being faithful, by being obedient. 

Application

I will strive to do everything that Jesus wants me to do.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, we show our trust in you by obeying your laws; our heart’s desire is to glorify your name. In the night I search for you; in the morning I earnestly seek you. Isaiah 26:8-9 And I will receive from You whatever I ask because I obey You and do the things that please You. 1 John 3:22

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: