Thursday, October 09, 2014

Father, If You Are Willing, Please Take This Cup Of Suffering Away From Me. Yet I Want Your Will To Be Done, Not Mine.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Nehemiah 1,2; Psalms 133,134; Luke 22

Father, If You Are Willing,
Please Take This Cup Of Suffering Away From Me.
Yet I Want Your Will To Be Done, Not Mine.

Scripture

Luke 22

42 “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

Observation

Pain and suffering surrounds all of us. If you are like me you are praying and asking God to heal someone who is going through pain and suffering. Cancer and other crippling debilitating diseases attack our lives or the lives of those we love.

We pray for healing. We pray for God to take away the pain and the suffering. Sometimes, many times God says “yes” and He heals those we love.

I deal with pain on a daily basis. Not the intense pain that others experience, but enough to make me feel bad, enough to make me cranky and irritable. I would love for it to go away, but so far that has not been part of God’s plan for my life.

Last night at Wednesday night dinner at our church I sat by a young man named James. Eight years ago James was diagnosed with the disease called MS and for the past 2 years James has been in a wheel chair unable to walk. He is right handed but no longer has much use in his right arm.

He said to me, “Pastor Eddy, I just want to be able to walk again.” My heart goes out to James. Lord, I want James to be able to walk again too. Tears come to my eyes as I write this.

This side of Heaven we are never going to understand pain and suffering.

Father, if you are willing please take this cup of suffering away for James. Yet I want Your will to be done, not ours.


Application

I will continue to pray for those who are going through pain and suffering. I will never give up.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I will never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever. 2 Cor. 4:16-18 (NLT and MESSAGE)

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: