Thursday, October 08, 2015

It Is Better To Be Godly And Have Little Than To Be Evil And Rich


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

It Is Better
To Be Godly And Have Little
Than To Be Evil And Rich

I can remember when God called me into the ministry and I started to go to college to prepare for the ministry. My father in law, Clayton Bearden, when he heard that I was going to stop working construction (I was making a lot of money) and start working part-time at the church (not making much money) he was not happy about my decision at all. He said to me, “You are going to starve my daughter to death!”

Scripture

Psalm 37

16 It is better to be godly and have little
    than to be evil and rich.


Observation

I can remember when God called me into the ministry and I started to go to college to prepare for the ministry. My father in law Clayton Bearden, when he heard that I was going to stop working construction (I was making a lot of money) and start working part-time at the church (not making much money) he was not happy about my decision at all. He said to me, “You are going to starve my daughter to death!”

It was a few years later while Kathy and I were living in Texas and while I was going to Seminary that Kathy’s Dad at 67 years of age gave his life to Jesus Christ. It brings tears of joy to my eyes just thinking back on what God did in Clayton’s life.

Kathy’s Dad watched how God took care of us. After Clayton gave his life to Christ he even starting sending us “love gifts”. Before he gave his life to Christ it would embarrass him when people helped us out by giving us food or helped us financially, but once he met Jesus all of that changed.

To this day I have never seen a life so transformed as Kathy’s Dad’s life. He only lived 2 years after accepting Jesus into his life, but what a different life he lived!

He was a walking example of 2 Corinthians 5:17 “When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun!”   



Living godly lives doesn’t mean that always doing everything right. You and I are broken. We are sinners. We will never do everything right!

Striving to put God first everyday is what it means to live a godly life. It doesn’t mean that we are going to do it perfectly. 

Why don’t you stop right now and ask Jesus Christ to help you life a godly life? Ask Jesus Christ to take control of your life. 

All the stuff, no matter how much you and I accumulate, will ever give us the joy that living for God and putting Him first can bring! 

Application

I will strive to live a godly life today. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, right now my eyes are filled with tears of joy over what You did in the life of my Father in law. I know that if You did that for a man when he was 67 years old I know that You can save those in my family that still are acting like You do not exist. I will not give up on them. Open their spiritual eyes so that they can see what they are missing. Bring people into their lives that can challenge them to live for You. Save them Lord. Please save them! Show them that it is better to be godly and have little than to be evil and rich.



Daily Bible Reading:  Ezra 9,10; Psalms 131; Luke 21;



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: