Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Don’t Slip Back Into Your Old Way Of Living…

1 Peter 1; 1 Peter 2; 1 Peter 3; 1 Peter 4; 1 Peter 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

1 Peter 1

14 So you must live as God’s obedient children. Don’t slip back into your old ways of living to satisfy your own desires. You didn’t know any better then.

1 Peter 2

1 So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech.

9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.

1 Peter 4

1 So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin. 2 You won’t spend the rest of your lives chasing your own desires, but you will be anxious to do the will of God. 3 You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy—their immorality and lust, their feasting and drunkenness and wild parties, and their terrible worship of idols.

Observation

What was your old life style like? Was it like what is described by Peter in the verses listed above? Peter warns us to watch out that we don’t slip back into that old way of life. I have thought that once a person gives his or her life to Christ that it would be impossible for them to live like they used to live. We are new creations in Christ so how could we slip or slide back into a life style so unlike the life we have the power to live in Christ.

To myself I am saying that I could never do that, but the scriptures remind us that when we are looking at the terrible sinful life of someone else, “be careful lest we also fall (or slip)” The sinful lifestyle that has me upset about my sinful brother or sister in Christ should be a wake up call to me that if I am not careful with sin that I could also being doing the same thing. So we must humbly try to help a fallen brother or sister in Christ to help restore them back to a right relationship with Christ.

I have someone that is very close to me that is living a life of self-destruction. It grieves me that this person has so far refused to turn back to Christ and has slipped into a lifestyle that is so unlike someone that has a relationship with Christ. It has been hard for me to reach out to this person.

It is hard to patiently watch this person destroy friendships and relationships and be powerless to help him. All I have been able to do is to pray. But today I need to say to myself, “only by the grace of God have I been able to escape this same kind of sinful behavior and if I am not careful I too could slip back into the old way of living.

Application

I will continue try to reach out to people that claim to know Christ but have been enslaved once again in sinful behavior with the attitude that this could also happen to me if I am not careful.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, Satan prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. I pray for this person that has found himself in Satan’s grasp and I pray that you set him free. I pray that You never let me slip back into my old way of living. Keep me strong. Help me not sin against You. Help me walk in victory today. Give me energy and enthusiasm to do Your will today. Help me to serve You enthusiastically.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

2 comments:

Rick Morgan said...

How is Titus 3:14 coming along?

Eddy Williams said...

Thanks for the reminder! I will have it down pat for Thursday morning. Tommy Cox meets with me now on Thursday after the men's breakfast.