Friday, December 26, 2008

Good and Bad Leadership!

Psalm 117; Psalm 119:81-176; 2 John 1; 3 John 1
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

3 John 1

9 I wrote to the church about this, but Diotrephes, who loves to be the leader, refuses to have anything to do with us. 10 When I come, I will report some of the things he is doing and the evil accusations he is making against us. Not only does he refuse to welcome the traveling teachers, he also tells others not to help them. And when they do help, he puts them out of the church.

11 Dear friend, don’t let this bad example influence you. Follow only what is good. Remember that those who do good prove that they are God’s children, and those who do evil prove that they do not know God.

12 Everyone speaks highly of Demetrius, as does the truth itself. We ourselves can say the same for him, and you know we speak the truth.

Observation

Diotrephes is an example of a leader, but a very bad example. I was told the other day that we should call our leaders servants and not even use the term “leader” in church. Demetrius was evidently a good example of servant hood. Leaders influence and their influence is either positive or negative.

Some use their leadership to harm others like Diotrephes was doing, but in the end they will answer for their evil behavior. There is payday some day. God will deal with them and I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes when He does!

Let’s look at how we can serve someone today.

Application

I will look for opportunities to serve someone today.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me be more like Demetrius and not at all like Diotrephes today. Give me a servant’s heart. I pray that you help me to get well so I can serve you 100%. This cold has kept me down way too long and I need relief. I pray for my children today that they would have a heart for You. I pray that you bless them and bless my grandchildren. They are wonderful gifts from You. Help me as I think about this new year and give me wisdom to lead our church. Help me to be an encourager.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: