Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Denying Christ

Job 25; Mark 13; Mark 14
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Mark 14

Peter Denies Jesus

66 Meanwhile, Peter was in the courtyard below. One of the servant girls who worked for the high priest came by 67 and noticed Peter warming himself at the fire. She looked at him closely and said, “You were one of those with Jesus of Nazareth.”

68 But Peter denied it. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, and he went out into the entryway. Just then, a rooster crowed.

69 When the servant girl saw him standing there, she began telling the others, “This man is definitely one of them!” 70 But Peter denied it again.
A little later some of the other bystanders confronted Peter and said, “You must be one of them, because you are a Galilean.”

71 Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know this man you’re talking about!” 72 And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.

Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept.

Observation

Peter was so confident that he wouldn’t deny Christ. He even boasted to Jesus that even if everyone else deserted Him that he Peter would remain faithful even to his death. I am sure that Peter remembered his words and I know without a doubt that he remembered what Jesus had said to him earlier in the garden. And sure enough Peter and all of the disciples all fled, and Peter did deny Jesus three times just like Christ said that he would.

I would have done the same thing I am sure. Later Peter made up for this act of cowardice and probably died a martyr’s death later in his life. We are all going to mess up, but the important part is how we finish and Peter finished well.

Application

My goal is to finish well.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to not deny my faith. Help me to finish well. Keep me focused and keep me down the right path. It is my desire to make You smile and not frown when You think of me.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: