Friday, November 20, 2009

What Does God Expect of Us?

Matthew 5; Matthew 6; Matthew 7
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Matthew 6

19 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

Observation

Here is one of the many things that God expects of us. He encourages and even expects us to send our treasure on ahead to Heaven ... so it will be there when we get there. There is no sense storing up stuff here because when we die we are not taking any of it with us that we haven’t already sent up ahead.

If we use our resources for kingdom causes then they will be in Heaven waiting for us when we get there. If we store up everything here and don’t send anything on up ahead then we are foolish because we are going to live in Heaven forever and the last time I checked “forever” is a very long time.

It is a constant battle for me not to buy the latest and the best or to use my money for stuff that really doesn’t matter. Jesus says not to worry about our clothes or having enough food, but if He was walking around Tampa I wonder what He would say to us? …Oh my goodness! It must break God’s heart.

Application

I will examine my spending habits and my giving habits and make adjustments so I can send more up ahead to Heaven. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, show me how to use our money and our resources better. Show me how to use my time and my talents so they count for Your Kingdom. Don’t let me waste them on things that don’t matter.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: