Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What Will We Get? Great Question…

Matthew 17; Matthew 18; Matthew 19
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 19

27 Then Peter said to him, “We’ve given up everything to follow you. What will we get?”

28 Jesus replied, “I assure you that when the world is made new and the Son of Man sits upon his glorious throne, you who have been my followers will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29 And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a hundred times as much in return and will inherit eternal life.

30 But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.

Observation

Sometimes honestly I have asked the same question that Peter asked in Matthew 19 and it is good to be reminded that I have made the right decisions concerning my career choice, my possessions, and my priorities in life. I look around sometimes at what others have and what others are driving or at homes that others are living in and for just a fleeting moment think …gee…I wonder if I have made the right decisions concerning “stuff”, but then this passage lets me know that I am right where God wants me to be.

Stuff has a way of becoming a “god” and stuff crowds out what God really wants us to focus on. It is always a temptation to think that the “stuff” in life is the most important thing and we need to be reminded that no the material possessions that we value so much are not important at all!

A dead person doesn’t need “stuff”. What good are houses, cars, toys etc. if someone is dead? Yesterday Jesus told us to take up our cross (if you are carrying a cross you are not going to be able to enjoy worldly stuff at the same time). I have this visual picture in my mind right now of someone trying to carry his cross and carry all of his toys too and it just doesn’t work. You can’t do both.

Application

I will concentrate on carrying my cross today and let God be concerned with the needs of my life.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, Your Word is so powerful. It is amazing how You speak to me through Your Word everyday. I have learned so much this week about forgiveness and about dying to self. Help me put what I have learned into practice in my life and help me teach these principles to others.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: