Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Great Power in Prayer

2 Kings 18; 2 Kings 19; 2 Chronicles 32; James 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Great Power in Prayer!

Scripture

James 5

16 Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. 17 Elijah was as human as we are, and yet when he prayed earnestly that no rain would fall, none fell for three and a half years! 18 Then, when he prayed again, the sky sent down rain and the earth began to yield its crops.

Observation

There is great power in prayer! The power resides in the Person we are praying to and not in our ability to pray! It is not our fancy words or pretty prayers, but it is a humble attitude on our part that pleases God. He delights in helping us if we will humble ourselves and seek His help.

We see this in our Old Testament passages this morning that deal with King Hezekiah and how he called on God in prayer.

15 “And Hezekiah prayed this prayer before the LORD: “O LORD, God of Israel, you are enthroned between the mighty cherubim! You alone are God of all the kingdoms of the earth. You alone created the heavens and the earth. 16 Bend down, O LORD, and listen! Open your eyes, O LORD, and see! Listen to Sennacherib’s words of defiance against the living God.

17 “It is true, LORD, that the kings of Assyria have destroyed all these nations. 18 And they have thrown the gods of these nations into the fire and burned them. But of course the Assyrians could destroy them! They were not gods at all—only idols of wood and stone shaped by human hands. 19 Now, O LORD our God, rescue us from his power; then all the kingdoms of the earth will know that you alone, O LORD, are God.” 2 Kings 19:15-19

And that night in response to Hezekiah’s prayer the angel of the Lord killed 185,000 Assyrian soldiers and God protected Jerusalem.

Application

I will pray today believing that God hears me and will answer my prayers.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, You are so powerful. There is nothing too hard for You. You have answered my prayers. You have showed Yourself so powerful in my life. I can totally trust in You. You hear me when I pray and You answer my prayers. Thank You for letting me pray to You. You are the Creator God and I am nothing. I am so small but You still love and care for me. There are so many things that are out of my control, but You never experience anything out of Your control. I trust You today. I call on You to do the impossible things that surround my life and seem to be piling up. They are the things that frustrate me, but must make You smile because You delight in helping those who call on You.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: