Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Distractions – Things That Take Us Sideways!

Job 35; Job 36; 1 Corinthians 7; 1 Corinthians 8

Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading



Distractions – Things That Take Us Sideways!

Scripture

1 Corinthians 7

31 Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them. For this world as we know it will soon pass away.

32 I want you to be free from the concerns of this life. An unmarried man can spend his time doing the Lord’s work and thinking how to please him.

35 I am saying this for your benefit, not to place restrictions on you. I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible.

Observation

I deal with distractions everyday. It is so easy to get distracted and spend my time on something that really does not further the kingdom of God. The Devil loves to get us distracted. He loves to have us spend our energy on what Bruce Moore calls side-ways energy. There are always things that want to pull us sideways to keep us from focusing on the main thing. The main thing is seeing the lost come to Christ. But everything seems to work against us staying focused to that task.

Paul was talking about something as basic as marriage and how even taking care of the needs of a spouse can take a lot of our energy. He says we must do it if we have made the commitment to be married, but he says that a single person has one less distraction to deal with and serving the Lord is easier if you are not married.

Here is the verse I want to focus on today, “…I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best, with as few distractions as possible.”

Application

As I go through this day I am going to ask myself, “Is what I am doing helping me to serve the Lord best or is this a distraction?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am tired of being distracted. I pray that You help me today to stay focused on kingdom stuff and not on things that take me sideways. Help me focus my energy on things that really count … things that help me serve You best.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: