Friday, September 21, 2012

Now Filled With The Holy Spirit


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Daniel 7; Daniel 8; Psalm 137; Luke 4

Now

Filled

With The Holy Spirit

Scripture

Luke 4

Now filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus returned from the Jordan River. And then the Spirit led him into the desert. There the devil tempted Jesus for 40 days. Jesus ate nothing during this time, and when it was finished, he was very hungry.

Observation

Sometimes we may mistakenly think that just because we are filled with God’s Holy Spirit that we will not be tempted to sin. Nothing could be further from the truth … when we are filled or controlled by God’s Holy Spirit we are stronger to say “NO” to the temptations but trust me we will be tempted. 

Jesus was filled with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit led Him into the desert where Jesus was tempted by the devil for 40 days. 

One of the first Bible passages I learned when mentored by Dr. Waylon B. Moore was Psalm 119:9-11. I learned these two verses in the King James Version, 

“Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.”

You and I need to set boundaries in our lives so we don’t give the devil the opportunity to destroy us. We will be tempted. Lets not allow ourselves to be placed in positions that make it even easier for him (the devil) to bring us down.  

I like what James 4:7-10 says in the Message paraphrase, 

So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.” 

Application

I will ask God’s Holy Spirit to control me today and to give me victory over temptation.  

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am guarding Your Word in my heart so that I don’t sin against You. Help me say “no” when I am tempted. Give me strength today to live for You. 

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: