Friday, October 04, 2013

Even If That Person Wrongs You Seven Times And Each Time Turns Again And Asks Forgiveness, You Must Forgive


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Esther 1; Esther 2; Psalm 150; Luke 17

Even If That Person Wrongs You Seven Times 

And Each Time Turns Again 

And Asks Forgiveness, You Must Forgive

Scripture

Luke 17
Even if that person wrongs you seven times a day and each time turns again and asks forgiveness, you must forgive.”

Observation

Have you been hurt by someone lately? Chances are very good that you and I have so the question is “What are we going to do about it?”

We have a choice in the way we respond when someone hurts us. The natural way is to retaliate and hit that person right back in his or her circumstances. They would in return retaliate and hit us even harder in our circumstances. Things would escalate until the relationship would be beyond saving. We read in the newspaper everyday how revenge and retaliation end up destroying families.

As Christians we are commanded to act differently. And what I am getting ready to share with you can only happen if you and I are totally controlled by God’s Holy Spirit. You and I must not retaliate. We must forgive. 


Quite recently I have had to go back and think about what Jesus said about how to deal with someone who has brought hurt and sadness to a large part of our family.
  Here are a few scriptures that came to my mind and that are helpful for me to think about today.

    "If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins. Matthew 6:14-15

    You must make allowance for each other's faults and forgive the person who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Col. 3:13

    "You have heard that the law of Moses says, 'If an eye is injured, injure the eye of the person who did it. If a tooth gets knocked out, knock out the tooth of the person who did it.' 

But I say, don't resist an evil person! 

If you are slapped on the right cheek, turn the other, too. If you are ordered to court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow. Matthew 5:38-42

    Dear friends, never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. For it is written,"I will take vengeance; I will repay those who deserve it," says the Lord. Romans 12:19 

    This suffering is all part of what God has called you to. Christ, who suffered for you, is your example. Follow in his steps. He never sinned, and he never deceived anyone. He did not retaliate when he was insulted. When he suffered, he did not threaten to get even. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly. 1 Peter 2:21-23 

    And don't say, "Now I can pay them back for all their meanness to me! I'll get even!" Proverbs 24:29 

Application

I will not pay them back for all their meanness. I will be ready to forgive.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it hurts so much when people hurt me. It hurts even more when they hurt Kathy and others in my family. I will continue to pray for them. I will not retaliate. I will be ready to forgive. Help me not to hold a grudge. Help all of us turn to You for supernatural strength to respond to those who seek to do us harm with Your love and Your mercy. Bless them today and meet their needs.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

http://www.enewhope.org/bible/

No comments: