Wednesday, October 31, 2007

How Quickly We Forget!

Job 22; Mark 7; Mark 8
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

The Yeast of the Pharisees and Herod

Mark 8

14 The disciples had forgotten to bring bread, except for one loaf they had with them in the boat. 15 "Be careful," Jesus warned them. "Watch out for the yeast of the Pharisees and that of Herod."
16 They discussed this with one another and said, "It is because we have no bread."
17 Aware of their discussion, Jesus asked them: "Why are you talking about having no bread? Do you still not see or understand? Are your hearts hardened? 18 Do you have eyes but fail to see, and ears but fail to hear? And don't you remember? 19 When I broke the five loaves for the five thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?"
"Twelve," they replied.
20 "And when I broke the seven loaves for the four thousand, how many basketfuls of pieces did you pick up?"
They answered, "Seven."
21 He said to them, "Do you still not understand?"

Observation

The disciples had just watched Jesus feed the 4,000 before getting in the boat with him. Jesus was taking the opportunity while they are all in the boat to teach them a spiritual truth that warned them of the false teaching of the Pharisees.

They thought that because he mentioned “yeast” in his teaching that some how he must have been using that example because they had messed up and had forgotten to bring the bread. They completely missed what he was saying.

Have you been misunderstood lately?

Does it frustrate you because folks don’t understand spiritual truths and waste energy over stuff that just doesn’t matter fussing over little things but not showing the least bit of concern about the souls of people? Did you notice that Jesus sighed deeply once in chapter 7:34 and again in chapter 8:12?

Application

What are you trying to teach me today Lord? I want to learn from you.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, open my eyes so that I can see what you want me to see. Don’t let my heart be hard and resistant to your teachings. Help me to get it. I don’t want to cause you to sigh today. May I bring you joy not sadness. Give me energy and give me the desire to do your will. You are awesome and worthy to be praised. Amen.



Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: