Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Open Your Eyes and Look At The Fields

John 2; John 3; John 4
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

John 4

35 Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.

Observation

In chapter 3 Jesus witnesses to Nicodemus and tells him that unless you are born again you will not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. A person is born again not by being good or being religious, a person is born again when they encounter Jesus Christ and they put their faith and trust in Him. They must repent, (turn from sin and self and turn to God) and surrender their life to Christ. Then in chapter 4 Jesus takes time to go through Samaria to talk to the woman at the well. She remains nameless to us, but once she becomes a believer she runs back to the city and brings many to place their faith in Jesus. Then to his astonished disciples he makes the quote, “Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest.”

Can you imagine the shock on the disciples’ faces when they realized what Jesus was saying? Here we find Jesus surrounded by people that his disciples hated and Jesus told them to open their eyes and look at the harvest. I wonder if they understood what he was talking about. I doubt it because Peter had still not learned this lesson when God sent him to the house of Cornelius in Acts 10. He still thought that anyone but a Jew was unclean.

We want to witness to people that are like us, but Christ wants us to witness to everyone no matter what they look like or smell like or sound like. The harvest is ripe.

Application

My last witnessing experience happened last week on an airplane coming back from Denver. The lady in the seat next to me came over from Vietnam when she was 17 years old. She is now in her 40’s. She went to a Catholic school when she was a child, but she told me that she was still a Buddhist. She was open to my sharing Christ with her and she told me that she would go and visit Calvary (Baptist) Church in Clearwater. Her name is Ching (not sure of the spelling). I gave her a Gospel of John and Steps to Peace with God and she promised to read them. It was a “woman at the well” kind of experience. God placed her on that airplane in the row where I was sitting because the harvest is ripe. I will open my eyes and look today because the harvest is ripe.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, open my eyes so that I can see the people that you want me to witness to. Bring people across my path that need to hear about you and give me the boldness and give me a love for them so that I can share with them about you. You are wonderful. You are so worthy of Praise. Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: