Friday, December 21, 2007

"Lazarus, come out!"

John 9; John 10; John 11
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

John 11 (Take a minute to read the entire chapter today - just click here)

11:43 “When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!"

Observation

Sometimes when we have someone that is so sick like my nephew Jonathan we may begin to doubt whether God could ever make him well again. John 11 has to be one of my all time favorite Bible passages and it clearly shows that Jesus can restore someone to health even if they have been dead and in a tomb for 4 days. Take time to read the entire chapter today. Think about what Jesus did. Martha was shocked when Jesus said to roll the stone away, she blurted out, "But Lord by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." In other words it was impossible for anyone to expect Lazarus to come back from the dead especially after being dead that long.

Why is this story mentioned in scripture anyway? I will give you three reasons I think it is in the Bible: 1. To show us that Jesus has power over sickness and even death. 2. To show us that Jesus has compassion and He feels our pain. 3. To show us that sometimes sickness is to show His glory and a way for Jesus to receive glory and honor.


Application

This afternoon I have to do a funeral of one of our senior adults and I think I will use this passage to encourage the family and myself.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, I have no doubt that you have the power to heal Jonathan. If you can take someone that has been in the grave for four days and bring him back to life I know that you can heal Jonathan. I ask you to heal him for your glory and that by healing him you would receive honor. I understand that I can’t see things from your perspective, but I know that you totally understand how I feel and how my family feels and you feel our pain today. Just as Jesus wept at the tomb of Lazarus I know He feels our sorrow right now. You are the Mighty God; nothing is too hard for you. Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: