Friday, January 18, 2008

Always Pray and Not Give Up

Genesis 44; Genesis 45; Genesis 46; Luke 18
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 18

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'
4 "For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "
6 And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Observation

Have you ever had one of your children beg and beg and beg for something until you finally gave in and got it for them? I don’t think Jesus is telling us to do that in this passage. I don’t think that is the lesson here. So what is the lesson for us today about prayer?

I think Jesus is telling us that we should pray and not give up because we are praying to an all-powerful God who loves us and wants to respond to our requests. We should continue to bring Him what is on our hearts because of our faith in who He is. He is not some mean unjust judge that we have to wear down with our persistence and make him do something that he does not want to do. It is not that way at all!

In verse 27 of this same chapter Jesus the following to his disciples, “What is impossible with men is possible with God." Ok! We are praying to God who loves us and always has our best interest in mind so we should never give up. Our impossible situations that we bring to God are a piece of cake for Him.

In verse 40 of this same chapter a blind beggar cried out to Jesus and Jesus asked him, "What do you want me to do for you?’ ‘Lord, I want to see," he replied. Jesus said to him, ‘Receive your sight;”
God is asking today, “What do you want me to do for you?” And maybe your request is an impossible one like the blind beggar’s request was, “Lord, I want to see.” If it is then that is good, because He can respond to you just like he did to the blind beggar, “Receive your sight.”

Application

I will continue to pray and not give up for my church, my family, unsaved friends, and for those in my life that need to be physically healed.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, today as I read this chapter I have been overwhelmed with your goodness. I marvel at your character … that for some reason you have chosen to love me. You want to not only hear my prayers this morning but you delight in answering them. Changing the impossible things in my life brings you Glory. I don’t deserve this kind of relationship. My love for you does not compare with your love for me. Thank you for this wonderful relationship that I have with you. I realize that you have blessed me so I can bless those around me. Thank you for Smiling on my family and me today.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Eddy,

Please pray for our oldest, Karl, as he is in Pararescue training and it is VERY intense. He needs healing from Shin Splints and some issues with his back now. He needs that healing touch from the Lord!

Love and miss you and Kathy!
Laura

Eddy Williams said...

Laura,

We have been praying for Karl since we read your email. It sounds like very tough training.

I talked to your Mom and Dad the other day. Kathy and I plan to go see them in April.

Keep writing on your blog because it helps us keep up with you guys. We are very proud of you. Love, Eddy and Kathy

Laura said...

Thanks, Eddie! We appreciate your prayers.