Saturday, January 05, 2008

B.B.Y.S.S. or B.Y.S.S.

Genesis 12; Genesis 13; Genesis 14; Luke 5
Click Here To Read Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 5

1 One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God, 2 he saw at the water's edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3 He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
4 When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch."
5 Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."
6 When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7 So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.
Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." 11 So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

Observation

Impossible, no not only impossible but stupid, that is what was probably going through Simon Peter’s head when Jesus told him to go out and put out their nets after they had fished all night and caught nothing. Jesus being a carpenter telling Peter a fishermen how to fish how stupid is that that is what Peter was probably thinking. They had fished all night and caught nothing and any fisherman knows that you don’t net fish in the daytime when the fish could see the nets. It would be like me telling my son Hugh who is a very good electrician how to do some wiring or some other electrical work. I am sure he would think, I am an electrician you are a preacher who do you think you are telling me how to do electrical work. And he would have been right in his thinking because I don’t know a thing about electrical stuff. But back to the fishing story…then in verse 5 the most incredible thing happens, tired Peter makes this unbelievable statement of faith and says to Jesus, “but because you say so I will let down my nets”. B.B.Y.S.S.! Wow!

Yes, things may look impossible for you at this very moment but let me encourage you to walk by faith and not by sight. Claim God’s promises and do what he has told you to do. Peter could have told Jesus “no” that he was not going to go back out to fish. He could have explained to Jesus who was the carpenter that you don’t catch fish in the daytime. Peter could have told Jesus that if they didn’t catch fish at night when you were supposed to catch fish then they sure wouldn’t catch fish now that it was daylight. But tired Peter didn’t argue with Jesus, he just said, “BBYSS”!

BBYSS – What do you need to say that to this morning? Luke 1:37 “For nothing is impossible with God."

Application

BBYSS to all my impossible situations today.


Prayer

Heavenly Father, “but because you say so” is why I can continue to pray for people that seem impossible. Some of the people on my heart this morning are not believers and I am praying that you save them. Others on my heart are believers that have drifted into sin and are living lives of self-destruction, which is beyond my comprehension, BBYSS I continue to pray for them. BBYSS I continue to pray for healing for my nephew Jonathan and put my trust in your word that nothing is impossible with you. So today Lord help me see above my circumstances and help me see your powerful hand working in the lives of the people that I love. Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: