Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Am Counting on the Lord

Daniel 5; Daniel 6; Psalm 130; Luke 3
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Psalm 130

5 I am counting on the LORD;
yes, I am counting on him.
I have put my hope in his word.

6 I long for the Lord
more than sentries long for the dawn,
yes, more than sentries long for the dawn.

Daniel 6

10 But when Daniel learned that the law had been signed, he went home and knelt down as usual in his upstairs room, with its windows open toward Jerusalem. He prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God. 11 Then the officials went together to Daniel’s house and found him praying and asking for God’s help.

12 So they went straight to the king and reminded him about his law. “Did you not sign a law that for the next thirty days any person who prays to anyone, divine or human—except to you, Your Majesty—will be thrown into the den of lions?”


“Yes,” the king replied, “that decision stands; it is an official law of the Medes and Persians that cannot be revoked.”

13 Then they told the king, “That man Daniel, one of the captives from Judah, is ignoring you and your law. He still prays to his God three times a day.”
14 Hearing this, the king was deeply troubled, and he tried to think of a way to save Daniel. He spent the rest of the day looking for a way to get Daniel out of this predicament.

15 In the evening the men went together to the king and said, “Your Majesty, you know that according to the law of the Medes and the Persians, no law that the king signs can be changed.”

16 So at last the king gave orders for Daniel to be arrested and thrown into the den of lions. The king said to him, “May your God, whom you serve so faithfully, rescue you.”

17 A stone was brought and placed over the mouth of the den. The king sealed the stone with his own royal seal and the seals of his nobles, so that no one could rescue Daniel. 18 Then the king returned to his palace and spent the night fasting. He refused his usual entertainment and couldn’t sleep at all that night.

19 Very early the next morning, the king got up and hurried out to the lions’ den. 20 When he got there, he called out in anguish, “Daniel, servant of the living God! Was your God, whom you serve so faithfully, able to rescue you from the lions?”

21 Daniel answered, “Long live the king! 22 My God sent his angel to shut the lions’ mouths so that they would not hurt me, for I have been found innocent in his sight. And I have not wronged you, Your Majesty.”

23 The king was overjoyed and ordered that Daniel be lifted from the den. Not a scratch was found on him, for he had trusted in his God.

Observation

“Then the officials went together to Daniel’s house and found him praying and asking for God’s help.” Daniel 6:11

Daniel continued to pray to his God and continued to ask God for help. The Psalmist prayed to God counting on God for help.
You and I need to pray. We need to count on our God for help no matter what. God loves to hear and answer our prayers. He loves for us to trust in Him.

Are you counting on Him today? If not …Why not?

Application

I will try to bring every thought before Him today in prayer.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to be in a continuous attitude of prayer today. May everything that comes to my mind be something that I bring to You in prayer. Talk to me today. Guide me today. Show me that I can depend on You. Do mighty things in the lives of those that I have been praying for because You are a Mighty God and they need to see and experience Your awesome power.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: