Friday, October 19, 2012

The Disciples Were First Called Christians At Antioch


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!
Job 5; Psalm 108; Acts 10; Acts 11

The Disciples

Were First Called Christians

At Antioch

Scripture

Acts 11

26b … The disciples were first called Christians at Antioch.

Observation

I understand that the label “Christians” was at first given to those believers in Antioch as a way to try to mock them, making fun of them by calling them “little Christ”. I am not sure if that story is accurate but the disciples evidently liked the description and the title or the nickname “Christian” stuck for those that decided to follow Jesus. 

It made me think this morning about what my neighbors might be calling me. What does your neighbors, your friends, and your extended family call you when you are not around? I wonder if they call me “a little Christ”. 

How does our family describe us? Do they see us as “Christ-Followers”? How about our neighbors and friends? Do they see a difference in us? Do they see Jesus when they see us? 

Kathy and I spent time with an old high school friend last night. This friend grew up with me in my neighborhood. We were best friends. He was my best man at our wedding (43 years ago on November 1st). We played high school football together at Hillsborough High School (1969). Last night Kathy and I went to a Hillsborough High School football game and sat with Mike and some of his family. I wonder if he saw Jesus in us. I wonder how he describes us when we are not around? 

I hope our family, our neighbors, and our friends see us as “Christians”, “little Christ”
There is always the danger that people like my friend Mike could see us as “religious” and that would not be good at all! The Pharisees in Jesus’ day were religious. Muslims are religious. Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses are religious.

Application

This week I will find and spend time with at least one person that needs a closer relationship with Jesus. 

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help others see Jesus in Kathy and I. Don’t let us let You down. Lead us to someone who needs a closer relationship with You and help us to be able to move him or her closer to You. You led Peter to Cornelius in Acts 10 showing us that You can direct Your children to people that need Jesus. I am willing for You to do that with me! 

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: