Sunday, July 12, 2020

And Just As Each Person Is Destined To Die Once And After That Comes Judgment.


And Just
As Each Person Is Destined To Die Once
And After That Comes Judgment.
Scripture
Hebrews 9
27 And just as each person is destined to die once and after that comes judgment, 
28 so also Christ was offered once for all time as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again, not to deal with our sins, but to bring salvation to all who are eagerly waiting for him.
Observation

This week at the hospital ...
She was crying when she told me, “I just don't want to die.” The patient had Stage 4 colon cancer. She was tired of dealing with a colostomy bag, tired of looking at it when she was in the shower, tired of cleaning it, tired of being sick from the chemo, and even though she had just told me that she didn't want to die, a few minutes later told me that she had tried to take her own life the day before. I think I understood what she meant when she said, “I don't want to die.” I don't think that she wanted to go through the suffering that she felt was ahead of her.
So what would you say to her?
I pulled up a chair and we talked about life. While we were talking she told me that she had lots of support. She said that her Mom was still living and she had kids that loved her.
So I said to her, “Look, you and I are both going to die. You might outlive me. We don't know. I have a badly damaged heart. Everyday that I wake up I am just glad that I have another day to be with my family. But one day I am going to die. And when I do I will be with Jesus!”
I shared with her much God loved her. How precious life is! God didn't cause her sickness, but He has allowed it. I shared with her that God would walk through this difficult time with her if she allowed Him to.
When I left that room I was hurting for her, but I think she was encouraged and I think that she realized that she did have something to live for.
It is definitely a terrible time to be in the hospital. No visitors allowed. Isolated from the people that love you. It is way too easy for someone like her, in her condition, to feel overwhelmed and totally hopeless and helpless and want to end it all.
Oh, how I love my job!
Application
I will continue to share the Good News of the Bible every chance I get. I will be Jesus' hands and feet!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray for this patient right now. I pray for healing. Fill her life with hope. Help her to enjoy her family while she has time. Don't let her waste a minute. I pray for others who are sick and have no hope. Help them to see that Jesus is all that they need. I pray for the caregivers at our hospitals. Give them strength. Keep them safe.
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 11,12,13,14; Hebrews 9



No comments: