Wednesday, July 01, 2020

He Saved Us, Not Because Of The Righteous Things We Have Done, But Because Of His Mercy.


He Saved Us,
Not Because Of The Righteous Things We Have Done,
But Because Of His Mercy.
Scripture
Titus 3
1 Remind the believers to submit to the government and its officers. They should be obedient, always ready to do what is good. 
2 They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.
3 Once we, too, were foolish and disobedient. We were misled and became slaves to many lusts and pleasures. Our lives were full of evil and envy, and we hated each other. 
4 But—
When God our Savior revealed his kindness and love, 
5 he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He washed away our sins, giving us a new birth and new life through the Holy Spirit. 
6 He generously poured out the Spirit upon us through Jesus Christ our Savior. 
7 Because of his grace he made us right in his sight and gave us confidence that we will inherit eternal life.
Observation
The Apostle Paul lived under the oppressive rule of the Roman government and he spent a good part of his ministry in Roman jails and yet in spite of all of that he writes and tells us in Titus 3 to submit to the government and its officers.
He says the same thing in Romans 13:1-5 and yet I hear those who say that they are followers of Jesus refusing to do simple things that government officials are telling us to do that would possibly slow the spread of the pandemic that we are presently painfully experiencing.
Titus 3:1 is followed by verse two which says, “They must not slander anyone and must avoid quarreling. Instead, they should be gentle and show true humility to everyone.”
It is also interesting that those who choose to ignore Titus 3:1 and Romans 13:1-5 also tend to be folks that find it easy to attack and slander others, even other believers.
You and I, as we go through this difficult time, need to be gentle and show true humility to everyone.
Application
I will do everything I can to keep me and my family safe from Covid 19 and I will do my best not to spread the virus to someone else. I will do my best to be gentle and show humility to everyone. I will look for the good in people.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for revealing Your kindness and love to me by saving me. It was not because of anything that I have done, but it was because of Your mercy. You washed away my sins. You have given me new birth and new life through Your Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5-6 personalized)
I pray for our government leaders. Lord, I know that they are far from perfect, (and I know that I too am far from perfect) but they are there for my good. Give them wisdom to lead during this difficult time.
I pray for our pastors. Give them wisdom. Help them lead us through this difficult time. Help them to lead us with gentleness and true humility.
Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 1,2,3; Titus 3



No comments: