Friday, March 14, 2008

Wild Parties and Drunkenness

Deuteronomy 25; Deuteronomy 26; Deuteronomy 27; Galatians 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Galatians 5

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.
22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.

Observation

The battle that rages within us is the sinful nature against the Holy Spirit and you and I can pick which side we are going to be on and it is a daily choice. Today I have the choice whether to be guided by the desires of my sinful nature or guided by the Holy Spirit.

Now let me see … the fruit of my sinful nature is sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other bad stuff compared to … the fruit of the Holy Spirit which is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control! Hmmm I wonder which one I should let control me today?

It seems so stupid but why do we choose choice #1 so often?

Application

Today I choose to be guided by the Holy Spirit.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to stay under your control today. I want to be guided by your Spirit and I do not want to yield to my sinful nature that always pulls me to do things that I know are not what you desire. I pray for some of my family and some of my friends that seem unable to allow your Holy Spirit to guide and direct their lives and they are living lives of destruction and they are hurting themselves and everyone around them. I pray that you rescue them from themselves. Draw them close to you so that they may experience the fruit of the Holy Spirit in their lives. You can change their lives. I know because you changed mine. You are awesome. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: