Thursday, March 20, 2008

Sin in the Camp!

Joshua 7; Joshua 8; Psalm 69; 1 Corinthians 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Joshua 7

19 Then Joshua said to Achan, “My son, give glory to the LORD, the God of Israel, by telling the truth. Make your confession and tell me what you have done. Don’t hide it from me.”
20 Achan replied, “It is true! I have sinned against the LORD, the God of Israel. 21 Among the plunder I saw a beautiful robe from Babylon, 200 silver coins, and a bar of gold weighing more than a pound. I wanted them so much that I took them. They are hidden in the ground beneath my tent, with the silver buried deeper than the rest.”
22 So Joshua sent some men to make a search. They ran to the tent and found the stolen goods hidden there, just as Achan had said, with the silver buried beneath the rest. 23 They took the things from the tent and brought them to Joshua and all the Israelites. Then they laid them on the ground in the presence of the LORD.

1 Corinthians 5

9 When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.
12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning. 13 God will judge those on the outside; but as the Scriptures say, “You must remove the evil person from among you.”

Observation

Today’s Old Testament and New Testament Bible reading dealt with sin in the camp. The sin of covetousness overcame Achan and caused the Israelites first defeat in the Promised Land and the sin of sexual immorality messed up the church in Corinth.

As Christ-followers we need to be walking in obedience and not living in sin. Sin is destructive. It messes up not just the sinner but also everyone else in their sphere of influence. Just look what the sin of Achan cost and it wasn’t just his life, but the lives of all his family and the defeat of Israel in a battle with the small town of Ai. Sin is costly. Sin is destructive. The pleasure of whatever sin we choose to participate in is so very temporary but the negative consequences tend to be huge and long lasting and some even have eternal consequences.

Application

I will ask God to show me any sin in my life today so that I can confess it.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that you want me to be holy. Help me today not to sin and so show me if there is any unconfessed sin in my life. I want to be someone that you can use today to help other people. I pray for revival in the hearts of our people. I pray that this weekend many people would hear the Good News. Use our choir this Sunday. I pray that you give Randy strength and energy to lead them. I pray that men and women that are involved in sexual sins would repent before it destroys them and their families. Help me to walk in obedience today. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: