Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Collection Box

Deuteronomy 1; Deuteronomy 2; Mark 12
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

The Widow’s Offering

Mark 12

41 Jesus sat down near the collection box in the Temple and watched as the crowds dropped in their money. Many rich people put in large amounts. 42 Then a poor widow came and dropped in two small coins.
43 Jesus called his disciples to him and said, “I tell you the truth, this poor widow has given more than all the others who are making contributions. 44 For they gave a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she had to live on.”

Observation

Evidently in the Temple they had a big collection box and at a certain time in the worship service the people passed by and dropped in their offerings. Passing the offering plate was not the tradition back then. Jesus sat down near the collection box because he knew the widow would be dropping in her offering and Jesus wanted to teach his disciples a lesson on true giving. I am sure that as the disciples watched the rich drop in all of their money they were probably very impressed. But Jesus wasn’t excited about the amount of money the rich gave he was very interested in the amount the poorest person gave.

Sometimes we may think that because our offering isn’t very big that it doesn’t really matter whether we give or not. We might think well they will never miss my small little offering. Your small little offering given with the right attitude and with the right heart may just be the biggest offering given on that certain Sunday. God is not concerned with the amount we give He is concerned about the amount of sacrifice behind what we give. He is also concerned about how we manage what we hold back for ourselves.

The scripture doesn’t say that because this widow gave everything she had that she left rich. All indication from reading the passage was that she was going to continue to be poor after she gave her all. We don’t know do we. But we do know that in heaven she is one very rich lady and that we can count on.

The big question for us is not how much money or how much stuff we have here on this earth no the big question is how much are we sending on ahead to heaven? How are we using what God has allowed us to manage for Him that is the real question?

Application

I will look around me to see where God wants me to give.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me not to be greedy. Give me a generous heart. I want to be like this poor widow. I don’t want to be as poor as she was but I do want to be as generous. I pray for healing today for my brother-in-law that is facing a very delicate heart surgery. I pray that you do a mighty work in his life for Your Glory. I pray for other family members that are struggling with issues that only you can solve and I pray that you come to their rescue because of your love for Kathy and me. Thank you that I can call on you and you always hear me. You are my very present help in trouble. In Jesus Name…Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: