Monday, March 31, 2008

Acting in Good Faith!

Judges 9; Judges 10; Psalm 49; 1 Corinthians 16
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Judges 9

19 “If you have acted honorably and in good faith toward Gideon and his descendants today, then may you find joy in Abimelech, and may he find joy in you. 20 But if you have not acted in good faith, then may fire come out from Abimelech and devour the leading citizens of Shechem and Beth-millo; and may fire come out from the citizens of Shechem and Beth-millo and devour Abimelech!”

Observation

Doing something out of good faith is super important like we can see in the negative example of Abimelech who chose to act out of bad faith. Why we do what we do is super important because the motivation for the action comes either out of good faith or bad faith. It is obvious to me that killing the 70 sons of Gideon was not acting in good faith and Jotham was actually pronouncing a curse on Abimelech and the town leaders for this horrendous act. Setting himself up as king was also a terrible thing to do even if he had not killed the 70 sons.

We need to question our motives and ask ourselves why we do what we do. Why are we going to church? Why am I teaching this class? Why am I saying this about this person? Is what I am getting ready to do motivated by good faith? “The heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked who can know it,” says the prophet Jeremiah. Even some of our generous gestures can be made out of bad faith instead of the good stuff. That is why we need to guard our hearts.

Proverbs 4:23 “Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do.”

Application

I will strive today to do things out of good faith. How about you?

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I know that the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked so help me guard my heart today. Don’t let me do something out of bad faith. Show me what you would have me to do today. Direct my thoughts and help me to do things for the right motive. I pray for my brother Rick today. I pray that you find him the perfect job. I pray that you find he and Julie the perfect place to worship. Meet the deep needs of their lives so that they may bring you honor and glory. Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: