Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Kind of Fishing!

2 Samuel 6; 1 Chronicles 13; Psalm 68; Matthew 17
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 17

24 On their arrival in Capernaum, the collectors of the Temple tax came to Peter and asked him, “Doesn’t your teacher pay the Temple tax?”
25 “Yes, he does,” Peter replied. Then he went into the house.
But before he had a chance to speak, Jesus asked him, “What do you think, Peter? Do kings tax their own people or the people they have conquered?”
26 “They tax the people they have conquered,” Peter replied.
“Well, then,” Jesus said, “the citizens are free! 27 However, we don’t want to offend them, so go down to the lake and throw in a line. Open the mouth of the first fish you catch, and you will find a large silver coin. Take it and pay the tax for both of us.”

Observation

Ok…this was definitely a lesson directed squarely at the fisherman Peter. Can you imagine how Peter must have felt when he heard his master tell him this? He probably thought, “oh yea sure I am just going to throw out my line and the first fish I catch is going to have a coin in its mouth, right.” Then can you imagine what happened when Peter threw out that line and brought in that first fish and sure enough it had a silver coin in its mouth just as Jesus said it would! I have to wonder if he didn’t throw his line out a second a third and a fourth time just to see if he would get any more money. I probably would have. Jesus could have told Peter to go and throw out his nets on the right side of the boat and He could have caused Peter to catch a huge catch number of fish and then had Peter sell them to pay the tax, but that could have been possibly thought of as a lucky catch. But to catch not just a fish, but the first fish and to catch the fish on hook and line and that fish would have the money in its mouth to pay the tax could only be interpreted as a God thing.

Application

God has millions of ways to take care of my needs. He wants me to trust Him to do just that.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank you for putting fishing stories in the Bible. I love reading about your kind of fishing. Help me trust you today with every need that Kathy and I have. You are a Wonderful Provider and we have not lacked one good thing our entire lives. We are so blessed. I pray for those that are sick today and those that are grieving. I pray that you take care of them and give them the strength to make it through these tough times. I pray for those that still need to turn their hearts to you. Help them to do that today. Nothing, absolutely nothing is too hard for you. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: