Saturday, April 05, 2008

Friendships & Covenants

Ruth 1; Ruth 2; Psalm 53; Psalm 61; 2 Corinthians 5
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Ruth 1

16 But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God. 17 Wherever you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us!” 18 When Naomi saw that Ruth was determined to go with her, she said nothing more.

Observation

We use Ruth’s word to her mother–in-law in many wedding ceremonies, but then these words are sadly and quickly forgotten. Divorce, broken relationships, and our world ends up being filled with superficial friendships/relationships.

It seems that people today do not even attempt to build life long friendships. The first little disagreement and church members jump over to another close by church, a husband leaves his wife after only being married a short time, family members not talking to each other over something stupid, it seems that we live life so superficially, with no backbone. Ruth’s promise to her mother-in-law was a serious promise not only to Naomi but also a serious promise to God. When she said, “may the Lord punish me severely if I allow anything but death to separate us” those words showed that she meant business.

David and Jonathan’s friendship was also a deep friendship that most of us men never get to experience.

1 Samuel 18:1-4 After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father's house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.

What man (if you are a man) or woman (if you are a woman) do you have that kind of friendship/relationship with? If you were in a desperate situation right now do you have a close friend that would drop everything to be there for you even if it meant traveling from a 1,000 or 2,000 miles away? Do you have that kind of friend?

The relationships of Jonathan and David, and that of Ruth and Naomi are great examples for us. Don’t give up on building strong relationships with the people that God has brought into your life. Yes, you should work hard at making sure that your spouse is your very best friend, but you also need a Jonathan (if you are a man) or a Ruth (if you are a woman) in your life!

Application

I will work on strengthening my friendships with the men that the Lord has brought into my life.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am challenged as I read what Ruth said to her mother-in-law and she not only said it but she did it. Give me that kind of love for the people in my life. Help me not to be so selfish so self centered. Give me a bigger heart for people. I pray for the married couples in our church that you help them build stronger marriages and I pray for our men especially that they build deep friendships like David and Jonathan had. You are so Wonderful. Thank you for the friends that you have gifted me with! In Jesus Name Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

2 comments:

Paulette said...

You and Kathy have that friendship in me!! If you ever need me I am so there, I mean that. I cannot wait to see you next week!!
Love ya.

Eddy Williams said...

Paulette,

We can't wait to see you too! Hugh said that you are doing really good and I am very glad about that!

We will see you soon!

Love,

Eddy and Kathy