Saturday, April 19, 2008

Don’t Worry!

1 Samuel 22; Psalm 17; Psalm 35; Matthew 6
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Matthew 6

25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28 “And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don’t work or make their clothing, 29 yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?
31 “So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ 32 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. 33 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
34 “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

Observation

Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? What a great statement and yet it is hard to put this truth into practice. We know it is true, but we still worry. I like what Paul says in the book of Philippians, “don’t worry about anything, but pray about everything.” In other words don’t worry about anything, but talk to God about everything.” Young David understood the importance of prayer just listen to his prayer to God as he was hiding from King Saul probably while he was in his cave stronghold, “I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray. Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies. Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings (Psalm 17:6-8). He had plenty to worry about but he knew that prayer rather than worry was the thing to do.
Did you pick up from this passage in Matthew 6 why we should pray and not worry? Jesus says, “look at the birds in the air, look at the lilies in the field and if God takes care of them he will take even better care of you.” And finally Jesus says, “seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Don’t miss the word “everything” in Matthew 6:33! The key is seeking first His Kingdom then He will provide everything we need.

Application

Every time today I catch myself worrying about something I will talk to God about it.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I love Matthew 6 and you know how many times I have gone to this passage when I needed to be reminded of your Divine care for me and Kathy. The word “everything” is huge in Matthew 6:33. It is big. You are 100% Faithful and what You say in your Word I can trust. I know that you are aware of every need I have in my life and I don’t need to worry any one of them. In fact when I do worry it is a lack of faith in You. Help me see your hand in my life today and in the lives of those around me. You are a Wonderful Provider. You have been so good to me. You have taken care of my every need since the day I first trusted in you. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: