Friday, April 11, 2008

Boasting Rights!

1 Samuel 11; 1 Samuel 12; 1 Chronicles 1; 2 Corinthians 11
Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!


Scripture

2 Corinthians 11

I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

Observation

Paul didn’t boast about how many churches he had started or how many people had come to Christ because of Him no he boasted in how he had suffered for Christ. I guess that pretty much gives me nothing to boast about today. I have never been flogged or even spanked for sharing my faith, never been beaten with rods, or stoned, or any of the other things Paul talks about. I do share his concern and understand the daily pressure of taking care of the church.

Application

I will pray for my friends today in Cuba and the Sudan that experience persecution for sharing their faith in Christ.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I think of Paul and he seemed so successful in his missionary journeys that I usually don’t think of how he must have suffered for you. It seemed that your hand was always there to deliver him from one angry group or another. But Paul lived in constant danger and it was danger from people, danger from the elements, danger from robbers and bandits, danger from religious folks, and danger from the government leaders. We live in such a protected place. I know that this will one day change, but for right now you have protected us for a reason. And I believe the main reason is because the church in the USA has in the past been where most of your missionaries come from and find their support. I realize that this will not last forever and we must take advantage of this and send out more missionaries while we can. I pray that thousands will heed your call to go out to the fields that are waiting to be reached. I pray that you strengthen and protect our friends that serve you in very difficult and dangerous places. In Jesus Name Amen.


Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: