Friday, July 03, 2009

Onesimus … is Now Useful!

Isaiah 6; Isaiah 7; 2 Chronicles 26; 2 Chronicles 27; Philemon 1
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Philemon 1

8 That is why I am boldly asking a favor of you. I could demand it in the name of Christ because it is the right thing for you to do. 9 But because of our love, I prefer simply to ask you. Consider this as a request from me—Paul, an old man and now also a prisoner for the sake of Christ Jesus.

10 I appeal to you to show kindness to my child, Onesimus. I became his father in the faith while here in prison. 11 Onesimus hasn’t been of much use to you in the past, but now he is very useful to both of us. 12 I am sending him back to you, and with him comes my own heart.

13 I wanted to keep him here with me while I am in these chains for preaching the Good News, and he would have helped me on your behalf. 14 But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent. I wanted you to help because you were willing, not because you were forced.

15 It seems you lost Onesimus for a little while so that you could have him back forever. 16 He is no longer like a slave to you. He is more than a slave, for he is a beloved brother, especially to me. Now he will mean much more to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

17 So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. 18 If he has wronged you in any way or owes you anything, charge it to me.

19 I, PAUL, WRITE THIS WITH MY OWN HAND: I WILL REPAY IT. AND I WON’T MENTION THAT YOU OWE ME YOUR VERY SOUL!

20 Yes, my brother, please do me this favor for the Lord’s sake. Give me this encouragement in Christ.

21 I am confident as I write this letter that you will do what I ask and even more!

Observation

Onesimus was a run away slave that happened to run straight into the life of the Apostle Paul. Paul led Onesimus to Christ and it is obvious that Onesimus had become very useful now in the faith.

Onesimus had a serious problem. He had run away from his master. Paul took care of the problem by writing a letter to Onesimus’ owner who just happened to be someone else that Paul had led to the Lord. It is a small world. It is always a small world for God when He wants to do something in someone’s life. Nothing is too hard for Him. He can make everything work out so that the person finds Christ!

Paul told Philemon that he would pay any expense that Onesimus had caused him. Paul stood up for Onesimus. You and I need to stand up for people. We have to take risks sometimes with people when no one else wants to support them.

Who needs your help today?

Application

Help me stand up for the Onesimus(s) that You bring into my life!

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me stand up for people. Help me see their worth like Paul was able to see the value in the life of Onesimus.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: