Thursday, October 01, 2009

The Cost of Discipleship

Zechariah 10; Zechariah 11; Zechariah 12; Psalm 126; Luke 14
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 14

The Cost of Being a Disciple

25 A large crowd was following Jesus. He turned around and said to them, 26 “If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple. 27 And if you do not carry your own cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple.

28 “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it? 29 Otherwise, you might complete only the foundation before running out of money, and then everyone would laugh at you. 30 They would say, ‘There’s the person who started that building and couldn’t afford to finish it!’

31 “Or what king would go to war against another king without first sitting down with his counselors to discuss whether his army of 10,000 could defeat the 20,000 soldiers marching against him? 32 And if he can’t, he will send a delegation to discuss terms of peace while the enemy is still far away. 33 So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.

Observation

Do you want to follow Christ but do it on your terms? What if He asked you to do something very difficult? What if He asked you to move away from family? What if He asked you to move to the other side of the world? Possessions may be easy for you to give up but are you willing to give up your family and friends and are you willing to give up your very life for Christ? Are you willing to die for Him? These are BIG questions that require an answer from you and from me.

Jesus said, “you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.”

Application

I will re-examine my life today to make sure nothing is more important than Christ.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, don’t let me allow anything to become more important than You in my life. It is my desire to bring You honor and glory by the way I live. Keep me from sin. Help me keep my priorities matching Your will for my life.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: