Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Get Out of The Boat

2 Samuel 2; 1 Chronicles 11; Psalm 142; Matthew 14
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 14

22Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. 23 After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone,

24 but the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.

25 During the fourth watch of the night Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake.

26 When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. "It's a ghost," they said, and cried out in fear.

27 But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

28 "Lord, if it's you," Peter replied, "tell me to come to you on the water."

29 "Come," he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, "Lord, save me!"

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. "You of little faith," he said, "why did you doubt?"

32 And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down. 33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God."

Observation

You of little faith, that was the description that Jesus used of Peter, as he doubted while walking on water! My question as I read this passage is what kind of faith did the disciples have that stayed in the boat? True Jesus did say that Peter’s faith was small, but he was the only one out walking on water. Even though he struggled with doubt as he walked on water, at least he got out of the boat. Why didn’t all the other disciples jump in behind Peter the moment that they saw Peter walking on the water toward Jesus? I think that this was a teachable moment not only for Peter but also for all of the disciples watching the whole event unfold.

Application

Jesus has taken care of me this far in my life and I don’t need to doubt Him now about my future.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I would love to walk on the water like Peter did that night. It was a lesson of trust. You are still teaching us to trust You. Everyday You are teaching me. Help me be a man of faith. Help me not to doubt You. Show me how to live for You. Show me what is important. Show me what I need to focus on today. Don’t let me doubt You today. Guide me every step of my day today. I don’t want to miss anything that You want me to experience.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: