Friday, December 21, 2018

“Lord, He Has Been Dead For Four Days. The Smell Will Be Terrible.”


Lord,
He Has Been Dead For Four Days.
The Smell Will Be Terrible.”
Scripture
John 11
38 Jesus was still angry as he arrived at the tomb, a cave with a stone rolled across its entrance. 

39 “Roll the stone aside,” Jesus told them. But Martha, the dead man’s sister, protested, “Lord, he has been dead for four days. The smell will be terrible.”

40 Jesus responded, “Didn’t I tell you that you would see God’s glory if you believe?” 

41 So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, thank you for hearing me. 42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.” 
43 Then Jesus shouted, “Lazarus, come out!” 44 And the dead man came out, his hands and feet bound in graveclothes, his face wrapped in a headcloth. Jesus told them, “Unwrap him and let him go!”
Observation
This is absolutely one of my favorite stories in the Bible!
Lazarus wasn't just dead. He was four days dead! Stinking dead!
Jesus told them to roll away the huge stone and open up Lazarus's tomb and immediately Martha thought of how bad that dead body was going to smell.
We don't know how bad the smell actually was when the stone was rolled away, but the stone was rolled away and then after it was rolled away Jesus prayed to His Heavenly Father, thanking His Father for hearing His prayer!
I say all of that because sometimes we read the Bible without taking time to think about what we are reading. Take time to put yourself at that tomb right beside Mary and Martha and of course Jesus and visualize and sense the totally amazing miracle that took place.
If you remember, it was a few minutes before arriving at that tomb that Jesus told Martha this, “I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying. Everyone who lives in me and believes in me will never ever die.”
Then He walked over to a very dead (and probably very stinky) man's tomb and called Lazarus by name and brought him back from the dead!
Can you see Lazarus hopping and bouncing out of that tomb all wrapped up from head to toe in those soon to be history graveclothes!
One day, if you and I are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, He is going to bring us back from the dead to live with Him forever!
Application
As I read God's Word I will take time to think about what I am reading and I will try to place myself in the middle of all the action!
How about you?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me capture everything that You have for me in Your Word. I don't want to miss one single thing! Show me things that I have never seen before or that I have never really taken time to try to understand. Your Word is wonderful. Every day as I read the Bible it is fresh and new. It never gets old.
Help those who may be reading this blog today to see new things as they read Your Word. Encourage them today. Help them to dig into and explore Your Word with all of their hearts. And bless them richly as they do!
Daily Bible Reading: John 9,10,11

No comments: