Friday, February 22, 2019

Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled. You Believe In God; Believe Also In Me.


Do Not Let Your Hearts Be Troubled.
You Believe In God;
Believe Also In Me.
Scripture
John 14
1“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. 

2 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 

4 You know the way to the place where I am going.”


5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Observation

Today at 10 AM I have the privilege of sharing this scripture at a graveside service at Florida National Cemetery for a childhood and high school friend, Marshall Harrington. We were recently reacquainted through Facebook.
The Saturday before he went to be with the Lord I had gone to see him out at Florida Hospital @ Pepin Heart Institute. We laughed and we talked about our childhood. Marshall shared how he had gone into the military after suffering an injury that would have kept him from playing any more football. He became a sharp shooter in the military.
Marshall was very happily married and he talked about his wife Pam more than anything else that day.
Marshall was waiting to get one more stent in his heart and that was planned for the following Monday - just two days away. It was a shock for me to hear that during the night of that very same Saturday that Marshall had a heart attack and he went to be with Jesus.
Two things I know for sure about Marshall: He loved the Lord and Marshall loved his wife, Pam.
John 14:1-6 is one of the passages that I will share at the graveside. It was one of Marshall's favorites.
1 Corinthians 2:9
That is what the Scriptures mean when they say,

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard,
and no mind has imagined
what God has prepared
for those who love him."

Application

I will see Marshall again and there will be plenty of time to talk.
Proverbs 17:17


A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
Prayer
Heavenly Father, I pray for Pam Harrington today as she grieves the loss of her husband. Give her strength. I pray that You, the God of all comfort and all compassion, will wrap Your arms around her and take care of her. Thank You for allowing me to have the opportunity to talk with Marshall and spend a little time with him before You took Him home. I pray for any person reading this blog today who is suffering a loss. Give them strength. Help them to trust you during this difficult time.
John 11:25-26
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; [26] and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 10,11; Psalms 27; Mark 1



No comments: