Monday, February 18, 2019

This Is The Day The Lord Has Made. We Will Rejoice And Be Glad In It.


This Is The Day
The Lord Has Made.
We Will Rejoice And Be Glad In It.
Scripture
Psalm 118
24 This is the day the Lord has made.
    We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 138
8 The Lord will work out his plans for my life—
    for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever.
    Don’t abandon me, for you made me.
Observation
I have been interning as a chaplain here in Tampa for the past couple of weeks at Tampa General Hospital here in Tampa. It is a trauma center for the 20 surrounding counties in our area.
So I have quickly found out that a lot of a chaplain's time is spent up in the trauma center ministering to patients or ministering to the families of the people that have suffered gun shot wounds, stabbings, vehicle accidents, etc., or on the palliative care floor with patients close to death or with the families of someone who has just died.
But last night I had the opportunity to visit a sick patient on a regular floor of the hospital along with the other chaplain who I was shadowing (I am in training).
While listening to this patient it quickly became evident to me that she had made a choice – she had made the decision that she was going to be miserable.
And she had plenty to be miserable about, she was sick, she only had one son and he would not come and visit her. She was very hurt and angry and felt very alone.
We listened to her, encouraged her, and prayed with her, but I don't think we were able to get her to see that everyday all of us have a choice. We have a choice how we face life. Yes, we choose how we face the things that life throws at us.
Psalm 118:24 is a reminder to me that this week, as I start today, Monday, that Eddy Williams has a choice: I can either choose to be miserable, or even though I am in a lot of pain, I can rejoice and be glad! It is my choice.
So how are we going to choose to live out the next 7 days of our lives?
Complaining ... Whining … or Rejoicing?
Application
This is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, help me to trust in You as I start out this week. I know that You will work out Your plans for my life -- For Your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for You made me. I pray for those going through rough times right now. Help them to choose to rejoice in You in spite of their circumstances. Help them not to become bitter. Help them to see Your Hand in all that is happening in his or her life.
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 3,4; Acts 25; I added: Psalm 118, Psalm 138, Proverbs 18



No comments: