Wednesday, February 27, 2019

“Don't Be Afraid,” He Said. “Take Courage! I Am Here!”


Don't Be Afraid,” He Said.
Take Courage!
I Am Here!”
Scripture
Mark 6
47 Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. 
48 He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended to go past them, 
49 but when they saw him walking on the water, they cried out in terror, thinking he was a ghost. 
50 They were all terrified when they saw him. But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage! I am here!”
51 Then he climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. They were totally amazed, 
52 for they still didn’t understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in.
Observation
There are so many great stories in these 5 chapters that it was really hard trying to decide which one I would write about! I hope that you have time to read at least some of these chapters today.
I can picture the disciples rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves at three o'clock in the morning when all of a sudden they see Jesus walking on the water coming towards them. Oh yes, I would be terrified too!
So what is the lesson? What was Jesus teaching His disciples? What does Jesus want us to learn from this story?
God's word or God's lesson for me is found verse 50, “Don't be afraid … Take Courage! I am here!”
While Jesus was still on land (vv. 47-48) Jesus was able to see His disciples (even in the darkness at 3 o'clock in the morning) and He knew that His disciples were in trouble.
No matter where you and I are, no matter what time it is, no matter what is going on in our lives, if we are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, then we can be assured that Jesus is always with us.
Over and over and over again through His Word He repeatedly tells us, “Don't be afraid … Take Courage! I am here!”
Matthew 28:20
... I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Romans 8:11,31,38
11 The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you.
31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.
Application
I will not be afraid. Jesus is always with me … 24/7!
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, thank You for all of the stories that You have placed in Your Word. Everyday I am reminded that You are always with me and that I am never alone. You remind me over and over again not be afraid.
I pray for any person that may be reading this simple blog today that might be filled with worry and fear. Help them to take these Scriptures to heart. Give them a super natural peace, a peace that passes all understanding as they trust in You.
Philippians 4:6-7
6 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Daily Bible Reading: Numbers 21,22,23; Mark 6,7



No comments: