Thursday, February 07, 2019

They Stoned Paul And Dragged Him Out Of Town, Thinking He Was Dead.


They Stoned Paul
And Dragged Him Out Of Town,
Thinking He Was Dead.
Scripture
Acts 14
19 Then some Jews arrived from Antioch and Iconium and won the crowds to their side. They stoned Paul and dragged him out of town, thinking he was dead. 20 But as the believers gathered around him, he got up and went back into the town. The next day he left with Barnabas for Derbe.
Observation
In a matter of minutes the Apostle Paul and Barnabas went from being called the Greek gods Zeus and Hermes (because they had healed a cripple man, who had been crippled since birth and had never walked) to the crowd turning against them stoning Paul and leaving him for dead.
This story is a reminder to me just how fickle that we as human beings can be!
I love what Paul did in verse 20 of Acts 14, “he got up and went back into the town.” He had been stoned by the crowd, dragged out of town, and left there for dead. Can you imagine what the people thought when they saw the Apostle Paul walk right back into their town after they had just stoned him and thought he was dead?
Is it just me that thinks about stuff like that? …
Here is a take away from this story:
My pastor Dr. Waylon B. Moore told me, when I was just starting out in the ministry way back in the early 1970's, “never take a pat on the back unless it was way down low.”
Here is how I understood his words of advice, advice which has stayed with me all of these years … don't let the praise of people go to your head. If you are getting a pat on your back way down low (verbally spanked, corrected or criticized) – be sure to pay attention to that one!
The Apostle Paul and Barnabas were not about to accept the praise of men – we also need to be careful ... Let's let God and let's let those around us get the credit whenever God does something through us that is worthy of praise!
Application
I want the Apostle Paul's boldness, his humility, and his tenacity in my life.
How about you?
Prayer
Heavenly Father, the Apostle Paul was so bold and so tenacious. He never gave up. I can't imagine be able to get up after being stoned by a mob and walking right back into the town where they had just stoned me and left me for dead. Give me Paul's boldness. What an amazing story. Help me to love people like Paul did. Guide me today. Don't let me miss out on what You want me to do.
I pray for those who are sick. I pray for their healing. Your Word reminds me, “The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.” (James 5:16b) I know that a righteous person is not someone who is perfect, because I know that there are no perfect people. I know that a righteous person is someone who is putting You first in his or her life. Help me to be a righteous person today. Please answer my prayers.
Daily Bible Reading: Leviticus 4,5,6; Acts 14



No comments: