Tuesday, May 06, 2008

But You Wouldn’t Let Me…

2 Samuel 11; 2 Samuel 12; Psalm 51; Matthew 23
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Jesus Grieves over Jerusalem

Matthew 23

37 “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God’s messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn’t let me. 38 And now, look, your house is abandoned and desolate. 39 For I tell you this, you will never see me again until you say, ‘Blessings on the one who comes in the name of the LORD!’

Observation

What does God want to do in your life but He can’t because you won’t let Him? What does God want to do in my life, but I won’t let Him? What God could have done through the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees but they would not let Him!

God wants to use you and me to change our world. He wants to bless us so much. He wants to protect us like a hen protects her chicks. Have you ever been close to a hen that has chicks? You better watch out because she will get you if you get too close. The hen will die protecting her chicks. Jesus is saying to us, “O, how often I have wanted to gather you together beneath my wings, but you wouldn’t let me.” I love the word picture of how Christ wants to love and protect us... don’t you! We find the same kind of feelings for us as God talks about us in the Psalms:

“How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings.” (Psalm 36:1) He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. (Psalm 91:4) Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed. (Psalm 57:1)

Application

Pride and disobedience will keep me out from under the protection of the wings of God. I will ask the Lord to show me where I am being disobedient and in what areas I lack humility.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I want to be under the shelter of your wings today. Show me where I am being disobedient. Show me areas of pride in my life. It is so easy to be both disobedient and full of myself. Today I don’t want to be either. I don’t want to disappoint you or make you angry. I want to live today in a way that will bring you joy. Help me to do that because without your help I will blow it and I will sin. Guard my eyes and my heart today. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: