Saturday, May 31, 2008

It is Not About “Me”! Having a Servant Heart…

Proverbs 16; Proverbs 17; Proverbs 18; Romans 12
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Romans 12

9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Observation

If we could just live out these few verses, oh what a difference that would make in our churches! Every Sunday it seems like someone has their feelings hurt, or someone is mad, or someone doesn’t like this or they don’t like that…are they reading the same Book that I read every day. If they are reading it then maybe they just jump over passages like this one and go on to something else. It is so frustrating!

Doing church is not about “me” and if you are a Christ-follower it is not about “you”. It is about serving…period…end of story. Do you and I have a servant’s heart? Let’s review the first few verses of this chapter and see if we are living out those verses, “Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. 2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” What rights does a sacrifice have when it is being sacrificed on the altar? Can it demand anything?

Application

I will work on practicing hospitality today.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me think more of other people and less about myself. I pray that you would put on my heart the people that I need to call today those that need to be encouraged. I pray that you would help our people grow up. Help them be flexible to change and help them be able to accept those in authority over them. I pray for our staff they would be wise in how they deal with our people. Give them the ability to lead. I pray that I would be able to live out these verses today. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: