Friday, May 09, 2008

The Danger of Following Jesus At a Distance!

2 Samuel 17; Psalm 71; Matthew 26
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Matthew 26

47 And even as Jesus said this, Judas, one of the twelve disciples, arrived with a crowd of men armed with swords and clubs. They had been sent by the leading priests and elders of the people. 48 The traitor, Judas, had given them a prearranged signal: “You will know which one to arrest when I greet him with a kiss.” 49 So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss.
50 Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.”
Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him. 51 But one of the men with Jesus pulled out his sword and struck the high priest’s slave, slashing off his ear.
52 “Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword. 53 Don’t you realize that I could ask my Father for thousands of angels to protect us, and he would send them instantly? 54 But if I did, how would the Scriptures be fulfilled that describe what must happen now?”
55 Then Jesus said to the crowd, “Am I some dangerous revolutionary, that you come with swords and clubs to arrest me? Why didn’t you arrest me in the Temple? I was there teaching every day. 56 But this is all happening to fulfill the words of the prophets as recorded in the Scriptures.” At that point, all the disciples deserted him and fled.
Jesus before the Council
57 Then the people who had arrested Jesus led him to the home of Caiaphas, the high priest, where the teachers of religious law and the elders had gathered. 58 Meanwhile, Peter followed him at a distance and came to the high priest’s courtyard. He went in and sat with the guards and waited to see how it would all end.

Observation

In this moment we catch two of the disciples following Jesus at a distance, Peter and Judas. It is a terrible moment for both men. The end result is that both of these men regret their action. Judas goes out and hangs himself over his horrible deed, while Peter’s remorse causes him to repent and come back to the Lord. Contrast both of these men with the woman in verses 6-13 of this same chapter. We find her at the feet of Jesus pouring out a bottle of perfume on him that cost over a year’s wages. The lesson for us: when you are that close to Jesus your love is extravagant, but when you are following Jesus at a distance it is very easy to betray Him and yield to sin. Peter and Judas both denied Christ. They were both following Christ at a distance. Are you at the feet of Jesus this morning or are you following Him at a distance? How extravagant has your love been for Him? Let me see your checkbook…let me see how you have used your time.

Application

It is my desire to be at the feet of Jesus this morning and I want to be extravagant in my love for Him.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me love you like this woman did in this passage today. I don’t want to follow at a distance. I want to stay at your feet. Help me to know your will today. Give me discernment and guide me through this day I don’t want to miss a chance to be your hands and your feet. I want to serve you today. I pray for the men and boys that will go on the camp out tonight. I pray that it will be a life changing experience for them. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: