Sunday, May 11, 2008

Betrayal!

2 Samuel 19; 2 Samuel 20; Psalm 55; Matthew 28
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

2 Samuel 20

7 So Abishai and Joab, together with the king’s bodyguard and all the mighty warriors, set out from Jerusalem to go after Sheba. 8 As they arrived at the great stone in Gibeon, Amasa met them. Joab was wearing his military tunic with a dagger strapped to his belt. As he stepped forward to greet Amasa, he slipped the dagger from its sheath.
9 “How are you, my cousin?” Joab said and took him by the beard with his right hand as though to kiss him. 10 Amasa didn’t notice the dagger in his left hand, and Joab stabbed him in the stomach with it so that his insides gushed out onto the ground. Joab did not need to strike again, and Amasa soon died. Joab and his brother Abishai left him lying there and continued after Sheba.

Psalm 55

12 It is not an enemy who taunts me—
I could bear that.
It is not my foes who so arrogantly insult me—
I could have hidden from them.
13 Instead, it is you—my equal,
my companion and close friend.
14 What good fellowship we once enjoyed
as we walked together to the house of God.
15 Let death stalk my enemies;
let the grave swallow them alive,
for evil makes its home within them.
16 But I will call on God,
and the LORD will rescue me.
17 Morning, noon, and night
I cry out in my distress,
and the LORD hears my voice.
18 He ransoms me and keeps me safe
from the battle waged against me,
though many still oppose me.
19 God, who has ruled forever,
will hear me and humble them.

For my enemies refuse to change their ways;
they do not fear God.
20 As for my companion, he betrayed his friends;
he broke his promises.
21 His words are as smooth as butter,
but in his heart is war.
His words are as soothing as lotion,
but underneath are daggers!

Observation

I don’t know if David in Psalm 55 is talking about Joab, but it sure sounds like it. Joab was the commander of David’s army and had become very powerful. David had picked someone else to take his place, but Joab murdered him. He killed Amasa with a dagger and he also put 3 daggers in the heart of David’s son Absalom. He was a bad dude.
Jesus was also betrayed by a friend wasn’t he? And it will probably happen to us too! What should we do when someone lets us down or turns against us? Look at David’s response in Psalm 55:16 “But I will call on God, and the LORD will rescue me.
17 Morning, noon, and night I cry out in my distress, and the LORD hears my voice.
18 He ransoms me and keeps me safe from the battle waged against me, though many still oppose me. 19 God, who has ruled forever, will hear me and humble them.” God will have the last word and He will take care of them!

Application

Joab was no Jonathan to David. I will be faithful and loyal to my friends.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I will call on you in the morning, noon, and at night and you will rescue me. Help me to be a faithful friend to those around me. I pray that today the worship service will bring you honor and glory as we honor Mothers on this Mother’s Day. In Jesus Name Amen.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: