Saturday, January 23, 2010

Paradise

Exodus 6; Exodus 7; Exodus 8; Luke 23
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Scripture

Luke 23

39 One of the criminals hanging beside him scoffed, “So you’re the Messiah, are you? Prove it by saving yourself—and us, too, while you’re at it!”
40 But the other criminal protested, “Don’t you fear God even when you have been sentenced to die? 41 We deserve to die for our crimes, but this man hasn’t done anything wrong.” 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your Kingdom.”

43 And Jesus replied, “I assure you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Observation

If you were to die today where would you spend eternity – Paradise or Hell? If you were to stand at the gate of Paradise and God asked you, “Why should I let you in?” What would you tell him?

If you said Paradise as your answer to the first question, but your reply to the second question included that it would require some sore of human effort like for example: being good; doing more good things than bad things; obeying God’s commandments, doing God’s will etc then I am afraid that you are on the wrong path to ever get into Paradise or Heaven.

This criminal on the cross next to Jesus definitely didn’t live a good life; in fact, he admits that he deserves to be nailed to a cross. He looks to Jesus. He realizes that Jesus is the Messiah. In that moment on the cross that repentant criminal places his faith and his trust in Jesus and Jesus lets him know that on that day he would be in Paradise with Him.

I wonder if the other criminal heard their conversation? I wonder why the other criminal didn’t cry out and ask Jesus for the same privilege? Both were so close to Paradise and yet one was able to enter in and the other was not. It had nothing to do with their goodness. It had all to do with placing faith and trust in the Savior.

Application

I will continue to show people that salvation is by faith and trust in Jesus Christ and has nothing to do with their good works.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, thank You for saving me. I am like the criminal on the cross. I am a sinner and I know that I don’t deserve to go to Paradise. I know that I will go to Paradise on day not because of my being good but because of my faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. He is my Lord and my Savior.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: