Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Don’t Misuse The Name of Jesus

Numbers 30; Numbers 31; Mark 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

Mark 9

Using the Name of Jesus

38 John said to Jesus, “Teacher, we saw someone using your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he wasn’t in our group.”

39 “Don’t stop him!” Jesus said. “No one who performs a miracle in my name will soon be able to speak evil of me. 40 Anyone who is not against us is for us. 41 If anyone gives you even a cup of water because you belong to the Messiah, I tell you the truth, that person will surely be rewarded.

42 “But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone hung around your neck. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one hand than to go into the unquenchable fires of hell with two hands. 45 If your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It’s better to enter eternal life with only one foot than to be thrown into hell with two feet. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, gouge it out. It’s better to enter the Kingdom of God with only one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 ‘where the maggots never die and the fire never goes out.’

49 “For everyone will be tested with fire. 50 Salt is good for seasoning. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves and live in peace with each other.”

Observation

Small acts of kindness done in the name of Jesus will not go un-rewarded. Jesus says that even a cup of water given to a follower of Christ in the name of Jesus will have its reward.

There are warnings here too for those that would try to profit by using the name of Jesus. It bothers me that some people in high places of leadership in Baptist circles seem to be doing things that are unethical and other leaders seem to be protecting them or defending them.

But I am reminded by what Jesus says in this passage that there is a pay day someday and those men and women will be tested with fire and what is not of Christ will burn up. I pray that they will be found out. I pray that they will be caught. And I pray that they repent and I pray that God restores them back to fellowship afterwards. And I pray that I would not fall into Satan’s schemes like they seem to have done.

Application

And I pray that I would not fall into Satan’s schemes like they did. I will guard my heart so that I don’t become like the men and women that are living out their lives contrary to the Gospel that they preach.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, this passage is a huge reminder to me that I need to guard my heart. I realize that I too can fall into sin if I don’t stay close to You. I pray for some leaders in national leadership that seem to be living lives that are in direct contradiction to the Gospel that we preach. I pray that if they are innocent that the attacks on them would cease and I pray that if they are guilty that they would repent and admit their sin and get right with You. I know that only by Your grace and Your mercy will I be able to live a life that brings You glory and honor and I know that if I am not careful I could sin just like those I am upset with. So I pray for them today. You know who I am praying for and I pray that today they would come to You in repentance.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: