Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Self Control … Why It Is So Important

Joshua 18; Joshua 19; Joshua 20; 1 Corinthians 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Scripture

1 Corinthians 9

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.


24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Observation

We need to exercise self-control so other people can see Jesus in us. We need to discipline our bodies so they do not become stumbling blocks to our sharing the Gospel. If our bodies reflect that food is our god then it is very difficult for people to believe that Jesus is our God. We must keep our bodies under control so we are not stumbling blocks to those around us.

Food addiction is just as bad as being a drug addict, but in our culture we don’t dare say anything because it has become like the drug of choice for so many people. When you are stressed, or happy, or when you are having a hard time it is so easy to go to the refrigerator and find comfort. It is a daily struggle for me. How about you?

Application

I will exercise self-control today in what and how I eat. I will also look for ways to be a witness to someone today.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, help me to become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: