Monday, January 10, 2011

Distractions From What is Most Important!

Genesis 25; Genesis 26; Psalm 6; Luke 10
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading


Distractions From What is Most Important!

Scripture

Luke 10

Jesus Visits Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.”

41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Observation

It is so easy to get distracted from the main thing. It is so difficult keeping the main thing the main thing. What is the main thing you ask? It is Jesus. He is the main thing. Serving Him and Worshiping Him is the main thing. Martha missed it and didn’t even realize it. She was upset because she was having to do so much to get a meal ready and if she had just stopped and sat at Jesus’ feet He could have taken care of the meal. He had done it several times before. So what are we distracted with or distracted by? Do we need to refocus and get our attention back on Jesus?

Application

I will think about my activities of today and see how many of them are about Jesus and how many of them keep me away from being about His business.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, I am so easily distracted. I want to be more like Mary and less like Martha, but it is so easy to be like Martha in this story distracted by doing stuff that is not the most important. Help me to keep the main thing the main thing. Help me to keep my eyes on Jesus.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: