Sunday, January 09, 2011

Turning From Our Selfish Ways

Genesis 23; Genesis 24; Luke 9
Click Here To Read Or Listen To Today’s Daily Bible Reading

Turning From Our Selfish Ways

Scripture

Luke 9

23 Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. 24 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 25 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but are yourself lost or destroyed?

Observation

Are you selfish? How selfish am I? Are we willing to turn from our selfish ways in order for other people to have a relationship with God?

Almost everything we do is motivated out of our selfishness. Taking care of “numero uno” happens in our lives by default it is our natural tendency. We must be obedient to our new nature and do what God wants us to do even if there is a cost involved.

There will always be a cost involved when you decide to be selfless rather than selfish. Examine what you do today and see how much of it was motivated by God’s Holy Spirit and how much of it was done by default.

Application

I am asking God to help me be led by His Holy Spirit today and not to be so selfish.

Prayer

Heavenly Father, it is so easy for me just to think about myself. Help me to take up my cross and put others above myself today. Help me to be willing to listen to Your Holy Spirit and be willing to be directed by Your voice. I don’t want to make excuses for my selfish behavior. I want to live for You. Give me the ability to do just that today. You are Worthy of Praise. You are Mighty. Nothing is too hard for You.

Today’s "Life Journal" Daily Bible Reading can be found on Line. Click Here!

No comments: